If you have found your way to the Hafod Y Bryn news page, we safely assume that you are the proud owner of a lovely pet. We always want to give pet owners the very best advice, to ensure that their loved ones are kept healthy and happy during their lives. There has been some truly horrible weather during the past week or more, so here we have some useful advice and precautions that should be taken to ensure that your furry friends are cared for!
Protecting Pets During Winter
While the cold is still here, there are some extra precautions that need to be taken to ensure the safety of your pets:
- Make sure all of your gates, fences, and walls are all secure during heavier winds, as these strong forces can easily knock them down and potentially harm your pets.
- Always use plastic food and water bowls during winter, as your pet’s tongue can stick to the frozen metal.
- Try not to use chemical-based liquids, such as anti-freeze, around your home. These chemicals can be incredibly dangerous when swallowed by your pet.
Protecting Pets During a Storm
- Loud thunder and lighting can easily scare your pets. If you can, increase the volume of your radio or television to dampen the sounds from outside. Otherwise, simply be there to comfort them.
Protecting Pets During a Summer
- Never, under any circumstances, leave your pet in a parked car during summer. This is a completely irresponsible and life-threatening thing to do as a pet owner.
- Always keep an eye on your pet’s water supply, and top it up with fresh water regularly. Adding some ice to really cool the water is also a good idea.
- Pets can easily get sunburnt, just like we can. Speak to your vet about the right sun lotion to use for your pet.
We really hope this advice comes in handy for you during all weather. Your pets are a part of your family, so always make sure to look after them as carefully as you would any other member of you. Contact the Hafod Y Bryn team today should you wish to find out more from us!